Monday, March 18, 2013

Sew in love with Sun-Kissed


If you've seen the cover of the April-May issue of The Quilter magazine, you've seen Michele D'Amore's Sun-Kissed collection in a fresh (and gorgeous!) quilt. This lap-size beauty was designed, stitched and quilted by Julie Lynch, who shares a bit of her design process with us below.


About the Trip Around the World design:
Julie: I tried a traditional Trip Around the World design first, but it didn't have the same appeal as the on-point version you see below. I had a stack of squares from each fabric, and I just played. I'd agonize—and if I didn't like how the colors looked next to each other, I picked up the squares and tried again until it worked. I don't have a design wall, so it's all done on the floor.


About the Sun-Kissed fabrics:
Julie: This quilt was really fun to make. To me, the fabrics had a 60s vibe. I loved the graphic prints. They were fun. The collection has a great mix of light, medium and dark, and size variation. The solids (from the Colors for Quilters line) were perfect because the prints needed a quiet place to rest your eye.

Details matter:
Julie: I purposely oriented the striped squares (3rd print out from the center) as you see them to create a zigzag illusion. I used the large circular print in two very different ways in the quilt. The cream background version is chopped up into squares in the quilt. But the design needed a bigger statement, so I used the darker brown version I a big border to help hold the quilt together, visually. I really liked the boldness of this border print.


Isn't a Trip Around the World usually square?
Julie: It didn't look right being plain old square to me. I thought it needed to be elongated a bit. I added in the olive-y green and the blue print squares as additional rows on the top and bottom to create a rectangle

Design tip:
Julie: When you have a quilt top laid out, step away from it overnight, and take a photo of it as well. Coming back to it with a fresh eye, as well as seeing it on a camera screen, helps you see your design with a more impartial eye.

Fun fact:
Julie: I don't use a computer. I've been sewing quilts for Benartex for more than 25 years. They send me a collection—it's always a surprise when it arrives and I start playing around, working with what they've sent. If I don't have an idea immediately when I see the fabric, I often just start cutting and playing with the prints on the floor.



**********************************************
p.s. Have you nominated a fabric collection for our March Madness Fan Favorite bracket yet? Maybe it's Sun-Kissed, featured on The Quilter's cover, or maybe it's a different line. Read more about the bracket here and nominate your favorites in the comment sections here or here, on our Facebook page. 






Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

No comments:

Post a Comment